IWTYAL 088: Should I watch movies with subtitles?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Pete asks: “I'm learning Portuguese, should I watch movies with subtitles?”
In this episode:
- Why movies are not a useful learning strategy for beginners
- What to do instead
10 ways to make the most out of movies:
- Try to find movies that you’ve already seen, but dubbed into your target language
- Watch the same movie over and over, rather than a new one each time.
- Turn off the subtitles!
- Don’t stop and start the movie to look things up in the dictionary.
- Instead, you can keep a notebook next to you and jot down words and phrases that catch your attention.
- Whatever you do, watch things you enjoy!
- If you can find the script for a movie you like, move heaven and earth to get it!
- Whilst watching, try to engage with the story line.
- If you do understand something that’s said, repeat it aloud
- Watch TV series rather than movies.
Today's Featured Resource:
Start speaking today
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. iTalki is the best place online to connect with affordable and effective native speakers teachers and tutors.
To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, simply visit:https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.