IWTYAL 305: The “Overwhelming Ocean” of Language Learning
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Kristin asks: “How do you overcome the overwhelming ocean of language learning?”
In Today's Episode:
- How I most relate to this: Cantonese
- 3 months isn't a long time… so be patient!
- Recognise that this is a psychological / motivation issue… not a language learning “problem”
- Over time, you get to know how you work and how you learn, and that's what gives you confidence
- But staying motivated is the only thing that matters, because without that you're lost
Some tips for doing this:
- Do a “complete 360” in your study – try something totally different!
- Take lessons
- Listen instead of read
- Stop memorising and get immersion
- Make sure you're doing what most excites you — speaking?
- Find strength from your daily practice
- Apply mindfulness techniques to the emotions of frustration and overwhelm
Start Speaking Today:
I’d like to thank italki for supporting the show. To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, visit: https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do You Have A Question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.