IWTYAL 159: Growing vocabulary at intermediate level
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Valentin asks: “I'm at intermediate level in Russian. How can I grow my vocabulary?”
In this episode:
- There's no quick solution – you have a large amount of vocabulary to learn, and that takes time
- Firstly, make sure you can read Russian. It's not too hard, and not being able to read is a handicap
- “I can't read books or read articles” – maybe not, but you can find material that's graded
Tools that can help you read…
- Find speaking partners and use Russian socially – in Japan, speaking with others as much as possible was how I grappled upward to fluency
- Don't ignore the option of taking classes – it can be a good, systematic way to improve
- Avoid using prepared lists or flashcard decks
- The principle is to grow your vocabulary using material you enjoy. Why? Because by staying motivated, you'll ultimately get more exposure.
- Try to enjoy the “struggle” — it's your best friend!
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
All my short story books:
Start speaking today
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. iTalki is the best place online to connect with affordable and effective native speakers teachers and tutors.
To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, simply visit:https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free 3-Day Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free 3-part email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.