IWTYAL 155: How long should I study with same material?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Clay asks: “For how long should I use the same material?”
In this episode:
- One of the most destructive language habits is jumping from one material to the next
- Usually, my advice is to stick with ONE thing, simply to guard against the “butterfly” problem
- “Don't let the great be the enemy of the good”
When I'm studying, I usually have a few different strands to my learning:
- Speaking on a regular basis
- Flashcard review of vocabulary
- Study time
In my study time, I tend to do one thing over and over, until I get bored.
- I wonder why you're asking this question?
- You should know deep down if the activity you're doing is productive or not
- If you feel it's productive, keep going!
- You will certainly lose motivation to do it sooner or later… wait till that time! (For me it's usually 3 weeks)
- If you feel it's not productive, stop immediately and try something else
- Try to avoid FOMO – providing you're speaking, learning vocabulary, and doing other holistic activities, you won't be missing out on anything!
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- “Sprints” – My 3-week approach to studying language material
Start speaking today
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. iTalki is the best place online to connect with affordable and effective native speakers teachers and tutors.
To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, simply visit:https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.