IWTYAL 022: How can I help my friend with her English?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Isabelle asks: “My Chinese friend is learning English. How can I help her best?”
In this episode:
- How to help someone learn another language
Three exercises you can use to figure out how to help someone learn your language:
- Have a discussion, just as you normally would. Don't interrupt, keep the conversation flowing. During this time, make lots of notes about their language. What mistakes are they making? What doesn't sound natural? When you've filled up a couple of pages with notes, look for patterns. What things keep cropping up again and again. Here's your starting point for helping them improve.
- Record the conversation. Listen back to it together, and give your friend control over the start/stop button! Ask them to ask you questions about what they have said. This helps them raise awareness of their own language use.
- Ask your friend what they most need to use the language for: making notes in lectures, reading books, giving talks etc. Once you've got this clear, simply do that activity together and help them improve.
Today's featured resource:
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I'll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks for listening
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you've got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you'd like to help me out, then I'd love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.