IWTYAL 232: Why you shouldn’t listen to “slow audio”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
In this solo episode, Olly discusses whether listening to “slow audio” is useful.
- News in Slow Spanish-type sites are becoming increasing popular
- With Yabla you can slow down the audio
- But are these helpful, or dangerous?
- There are only two reasons you won't understand something spoken:
- 1) You don't know the words/grammar
- 2) You can't understand fast speech
- If you slow down what you're listening to, you're not helping your listening, because it's not natural, and lacks the features of fast speech
- It simply gives you more time to process the information, i.e. think about the words used
- But is this the best way to learn new vocabulary… listening to slow, unnatural audio?
- This = confusing / misunderstanding the problem, and can severely limited your ability to cope with real language
- Listening to stuff at your level (comprehensible input)
- Listen at natural speed, and use the transcript to help you understandInstead, solve the problem of not understanding fast speech by:
- I do sometimes slow down audio (Speater app), but it's always when I'm listening to stuff that's too hard for me
- Caveat: Slowing down audio could be useful at the very beginning
Resources Mentioned in Today's Episode:
Start Speaking Today:
I’d like to thank italki for supporting the show. To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, visit: https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.