IWTYAL 087: How to avoid translating in your head
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Pete asks: “I'm learning Portuguese, how can I avoid translating in my head?”
In this episode:
- Translation is inevitable
- It's a useful strategy as a beginner
- Translation stops being useful as you move to higher levels, and you're dealing with nuances in the language which often don't have translations
- Stopping translating in your head is something that happens naturally over time
Tips for moving away from translation:
- Be happy with a certain level of ambiguity in the language – fixating on understanding every word is counterproductive
- Look for patterns and phrases in the language, write them down, notice them being used in different contexts, the begin to use them yourself
- Deal in phrases and sentences, not single words
- When watching movies etc, relax and be present with the language, don't try to understand everything
- Spend time on all four skills
- “You don't learn a language, you get used to it.” – Katsumoto
Start speaking today
I’d like to thank iTalki for supporting the show. iTalki is the best place online to connect with affordable and effective native speakers teachers and tutors.
To claim your free lesson and start speaking today, simply visit:https://iwillteachyoualanguage.com//italkishownotes
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I’ll do my best to feature it on the show!
Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast!
If you’ve got any comments about the show then please leave them in the “comments” section below!
If you’d like to help me out, then I’d love it if you could…
- Share the episode using the social media buttons around you
- Leave an honest review and rating of the podcast on iTunes (click here to do that)
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there!
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!
Free Email Course
People speak too fast?
Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.