How To Deal With Grammar

lanterns japanGrammar has a bad name. The good news is that you don’t need to get hung up on it.

A staggering 95% of all meaning (by some estimates) in a language is conveyed by the words themselves. That means that grammar falls within the remaining 5%.

This is, of course, an over-simplification, but what I want you to take from this is that grammar is not the most important part of language learning. This often comes as a shock to people, since many of us spent years at high school doing nothing but dull-as-dishwater grammar exercises.

Grammar is important, but not as important as the words themselves for a beginner.

If you know some words, but no grammar, you can say a little. If you know some grammar, but no words, you can say nothing.

Let's take this as understood for now. So, does this mean that we forget about grammar? Of course not. I happen to love grammar, and actually quite enjoy reading grammar books (I'm that boring!!), but this is in addition to spending time learning vocabulary, not instead of.

So what to do?

Get a good grammar book. Here, here and here are some great series that did the trick for me. You could try searching for advice on YouTube for other language-specific titles.

As with everything else, there are a number of ways you can use your shiny new grammar book, and the correct way is the one that works for you.

Some guidelines are as follows:

Here's my personal approach on learning grammar:

Please leave a comment below with your thoughts!

Free Email Course

People speak too fast?

Free email course teaches you advanced listening skills to understand native speakers at ANY speed.

We will protect your data in accordance with our privacy policy.

Powered by ConvertKit

Related Articles