When my friend Jan van der Aa visited Cairo last week, we had the opportunity to sit down and talk about all things “Egypt”.
In this short video, shot on my balcony, we discuss my progress since I started learning Arabic 3 months ago:
- How is life in Egypt?
- Is Egyptian Arabic more difficult than other languages I've learnt?
- How are you dealing with complex Arabic grammar?
- How do you move from learning phrases to speaking more freely?
- Is it easy to find friends and connect with local people in Egypt? Is there much of a culture gap?
- Should you learn the Arabic script?
- Differences between Egyptian Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic (MSA)
- What advice do I have for people learning Arabic?
Plus, I speak a bit of Arabic on camera for the first time since arriving in Egypt! (It's only a few sentences 🙂 )
Do you speak Arabic, or are you learning at the moment? What challenges do you face? Leave me a comment below to let me know!